What is your IQ?

                          

Last week we spoke about arming yourself with th proper knowledge.  Let's expand on this.

A good understanding of body reactions is important in order to navigate the world of self protection.  

Each pressure point, when manipulated through either grappling or striking produces a predictable body reaction. This is what I referred to a your Body Intelligence Quotient or B-IQ™.  We al have a B-IQ™...and this can expand upon through intelligent training methods.  

The old ways of training was to copy what you saw until you got I.  This is still referred to as traditional training.  Even with the advent of cross training, which is really nothing new except for newer marketing methods, many of the "traditional" ways of teaching are still in effect.  "Here is a technique.  Now you need to practice it unto you get it.  Eventually you will."

You can defenitely develop your B-IQ™ over time and if you are comfortable training in this method...that is ok.  For me?  Learning the principles behind the techniques is what can and has increased the velocity of learning for me and many others.           

So how can we train to both increase our technical proficiency and our B-IQ™?  First understanding this process can greatly increase both.

Repetitive training is a core part of this...which is what I have already referred to as traditional training.  The piece which will increase your B-IQ™ is how I myself train and teach and this is through training and understanding principles of body movement.

I am not just talking about your body movement, but that of your opponent.

So how do we train this?

We first have to take stock of our own body.  We do this through getting a feel for the movements we are performing and when I say performing, I am referring to the Kata, basics, boxing drills, weapons training, etc.  If we cannot control our own body movements, how can we control the movements of another?

As we continue training by understanding our own B-IQ™, we get a glimpse into how our opponent's body will react.  This is through give and take training.

For over 10 years, I was the uke for Prof. Remy Presas and Prof. Wally Jay.  Any time they needed a volunteer...I was there.  Some people actually looked at me like I was crazy for taking all these locks and falls.  I told them that I was training.  In order to be able to do what they were doing...I had to have an intimate knowledge of what the opponent was going through.  This was invaluable training to me.  When you have an understanding of both sides of a technique...you truly increase your B-IQ™.

More on this next week!!

Until next time KO your obstacles by keeping it simple, keeping it safe, and train with PinPoint™ accuracy.

Mark

Mark Kline is a short, bald, professional martial artist from NJ.  He is the architect of the PinPoint™ Method of Pressure Point Education for Martial Arts which is hosted by the Kyusho Institute.  He has thousands students and followers around the globe training in his unique method of learning through a combination of live seminars and online education.  You can can find more information about this unparalleled Kyusho Educational program here - http://www.KyushoInstitute.com and he can be reached directly by email - mark.kline@kyushoinstitute.com

                                                                                                                                   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choices

Is Knowledge Power?

Rocks in your feed bag?