Here a ttle, there a title, everywhere a title!!

Sounds like the Old MacDonald song...right?

First a story:

4 generations of women were at a family feast.  The second youngest (Mom) was preparing the ham.  She cut off both ends, put it into the baking dish and placed it in the oven.  Here daughter asked her why she cut off the two ends.  She said, "I don't know...that is how Grandma always did it."

They went and asked Grandma why she always cut off the two ends before cooking the ham.  she responded, "I don't know...that is how my mother always did it."

The went and found Great Grandma sitting in  the TV room with the other family members and asked her the same question, "Why do you cut off the two ends of the ham before cooking?"

She smiled, leaned in towards us and said with a thick eastern European accent, "When I first came to the this country, the hams were very big (she gestured with her hands) and we had a small house with a very small kitchen, with a very small stove.  The only way the ham would fit in the over is if I made it smaller!"

In the martial arts we have many traditions that come from Japan, China, etc.  in the Western World, we also have many traditions.  Both traditions can coexist. 

There are many titles in the martial arts that teachers like to be called.  Some even demand it.  This is where I draw the line.  I have never felt that one needs to call me Sensei, Shihan, etc to show respect.  This is done through tone and temper.

My point is this...you can show someone respect by being a respectful person to them.  You get back what you give.  This is what my mother taught me and I am sticking to it:-)

A title is sometimes like a chain of bondage.  It can hold you back from learning. 

At the end of the day we are all students...regardless of rank and/or title.  To me that is the bottom line.

The only title I like to go by is the one my parents gave me...Mark.  

Until next time KO your obstacles by keeping it simple, keeping it safe, and train with PinPoint™ accuracy.

Mark

Mark Kline is a short, bald, professional martial artist from NJ.  He is the architect of the PinPoint™ Method of Pressure Point Education for Martial Arts which is hosted by the Kyusho Institute.  He has thousands students and followers around the globe training in his unique method of learning through a combination of live seminars and online education.  You can can find more information about this unparalleled Kyusho Educational program here - http://www.KyushoInstitute.com and he can be reached directly by email - mark.kline@kyushoinstitute.com


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choices

Is Knowledge Power?

Rocks in your feed bag?