The Art in Martial Art






 
noun 


the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.
Origin of art
 
Middle English / Latin 1175-1225
Middle English < Old French, accusative of ars < Latin ars (nominative), artem (accusative) ‘skill, craft, craftsmanship’

 
There are several ways one can look at the "Art" in Martial Arts.

  
1. The aesthetically pleasing way a person moves their body when performing techniques solo. 

2.  Having complete control over your opponent and making it look effortless.

These are my ways of looking at the Art in the Martial Arts.  

Having great flow to your techniques when practicing Kata, for example, can also be a sign of good health...the way you move, gliding from posture to posture, etc. and having the ability to "turn it on" at a moments notice.  These to me are signs of the Art.

When you can control an opponent, almost like a magician...this to me is another sign of the Art.

When I was 23 I had my first training sessions with Wally Jay and Remy Presas.  Prof. Jay was 72 at the time.  He shuffled onto the mat looking very much like a 72 year old, but when he got his hands on his uke...he became a Maestro.  

I realized then and there that I have no idea if I will make it to 72 so I am going to focus on learning how he moved like that because it looked like magic!

Remy Presas was doing the same thing with sticks in his hand.  It was eye opening experience that I still remember vividly as I write this.  

The Art in Martial Art can mean many things to many people...my question for you today is...What does it mean for you?

Until next time KO your obstacles by keeping it simple, keeping it safe, and train with PinPoint™ accuracy.













 

Mark Kline is a short, bald, professional martial artist from NJ.  He is the architect of the PinPoint™ Method of Pressure Point Education for Martial Arts which is hosted by the Kyusho Institute.  He has thousands students and followers around the globe training in his unique method of learning through a combination of live seminars and online education.  You can can find more information about this unparalleled Kyusho Educational program here, where you can get 30 days free to try it out - http://www.KyushoInstitute.com and he can be reached directly by email - mark.kline@kyushoinstitute.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choices

Is Knowledge Power?

Rocks in your feed bag?