Thats really RANK.....


What is the importance of rank and why are so many people fearful of losing it for one reason or another?  

First lets discuss the importance of rank...as I see it.  To me, rank means that you have been training for a period of time, have some degree of proficiency, and have been acknowledged as such.  For me...that's about it. 
When I was younger it was all about the rank because all I saw was that those before me put such emphasis on it.  As I get older...rank matters less and less to me, not because I have it, but because the significance on learning...to me...far outweighs the color of my belt.

There are many who use rank to keep their students in line, much like our parents would use the "You are not getting desert if you don't behave" punishment.  

Years ago a guy came to train with me from another school.  He found out that one of my passions was in breaking down kata and adding the Kyusho to the techniques, in addition to more realistic meanings for the movements (Here is a quick clip on Kata Bunkai).  He was at least a 1st dan at that point, maybe one or two levels higher...I can't quite remember, but I can tell you this...after the head of the school he previously attended found out, he was demoted to Brown Belt.  All because he decided to see what else was out there.  

I'm sorry, but I believe it is wrong to hold something like this over someone's head.  He earned his rank and title when he was in their good graces...and afterwards?  I don't quite agree that this should be held over someone's head...who voluntarily comes to you as a paying customer.  

As an employer I have withheld a raise for poor job performance, but I would not withold a rank, or better yet take one away that was already earned because of a disagreement.  

Can you see the disconnect here?

As most of you know, I travel all over the world teaching and now connect with 100's of people on a monthly basis through my online Kyusho Educational Course (http://www.kyushoinstitute.com).  I see this type of behavior from instructors all the time.

In Australia recently to teach, I found out that many people were threatened by their instructor that if they came to my seminar, they would jeopardize their future promotions.   

Personally, I am all for anyone learning from any source they can.  Not every instructor knows it all, not even one who is a doctor.  Maybe the ego gets in the way of sanity.  

Those who teach have an obligation to teach more than just the techniques they are teaching and they should do their best at all times to walk the talk.  This is easier said than done, but like I said...the ego gets in the way at times.  We have an ego and it is will best serve us if we realize that our job as educators is to be in service to others.  Not servants...but in service...to help other grow and nurture that growth, even if it means allowing them to make mistakes, because more often than not, mistakes are the ways we can learn the fastest...if we pay attention.

Until next time KO your obstacles by keeping it simple, keeping it safe, and train with PinPoint™ accuracy.

Mark

Mark Kline is a short, bald, professional martial artist from NJ.  He is the architect of the PinPoint™ Method of Pressure Point Education for Martial Arts which is hosted by the Kyusho Institute.  He has thousands students and followers around the globe training in his unique method of learning through a combination of live seminars and online education.  You can can find more information about this unparalleled Kyusho Educational program here, where you can get 30 days free to try it out - http://www.KyushoInstitute.com and he can be reached directly by email - mark.kline@kyushoinstitute.com




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choices

Is Knowledge Power?

Rocks in your feed bag?