Are you distracted?



Are you being distracted by training methods that won't help save you in a real situation?

I started wrestling when I was 12 years old and one of the things that my coach impressed upon all of us was that in order to get good at wrestling you must wrestle.

There are some people that were in better shape on the team than others because they put in the extra hours running etc. those that put in the extra time actually wrestling excelled at wrestling and usually had better technique and therefore were in a better position to win.

When I started Kyusho many many years ago, 27 to be exact, we focused on all the theories according to traditional Chinese medicine (TCM). And I can tell you some of the guys in our study group they knew the theories backwards and forwards, but it didn't help them in fighting or rather Self-Defense.

I was involved in a study group back then and it was a great intro to Kyusho and more realistic self defense.  While we sparred...we did so with the concept that this was training for strategy...not self defense.

What I mean is that when you square up against someone in a sparring situation...they know that you know something as well as you know that they know something.  You both are ready for the other person...somewhat.

Is this true on the street?  Not in my opinion.

Why do I say this?

I say this because many real situations arises out of a spur of the moment situation.  You bump into someone, you are someone where you probably should not be, etc.

You have no prior knowledge of this persons fighting ability / training nor does he have your resume handy.

When I started this journey TCM was all we talked about.  There were guys in the group that could tell you every theory and TCM Laws of Acupuncture under the sun...but could not stop a punch to the face.  Some of them were very good at sparring...but a spur of the moment confrontation...nope!

Like I was saying...sparring does have its place...but is not the end all be all to martial arts...unless of course you are really training in a martial sport...this is a totally different animal.

I remember when I started in Tang Soo Do.  I thought I was learning a martial art.  They spoke of the history, etc of this ancient art going back to a book from 1760, but this particular school / organization coincided with Japan pulling out of Korea in 1945.

I began to realize that what we were learning was a sport...after all...we attended tournament after tournament and did pretty well...but that did not quench my desire to learn self defense because I knew that people did not fight at a pre-arranged time with a center referee. 

I have no issue with learning theory...but it should be put into applicable action at some point.  For me...first thing to do...LEARN HOW TO GET OUT OF A SITUATION...not Fire melts Metal (Cycle of Destruction)...which is great for a STAGED demo...but when a crazed person is intent on taking your head off...theory goes out the window and self preservation is 1st on the menu and at this point...even some of your sparring drills are going to do more harm than good.

So my question for you today is...What do you think about Sport martial arts vs. Self Defense?  If you train only for tournaments, does this mean you are perfectly capable of defending yourself in a real situation where someone intends to do you harm?

Until next time KO your obstacles by keeping it simple, keeping it safe, and train with PinPoint™ accuracy.











Mark Kline is a short, bald, professional martial artist from NJ.  He is the architect of the PinPoint™ Method of Pressure Point Education for Martial Arts which is hosted by the Kyusho Institute.  He has thousands students and followers around the globe training in his unique method of learning through a combination of live seminars and online education.  You can can find more information about this unparalleled Kyusho Educational program here, where you can get 30 days free to try it out - http://www.KyushoInstitute.com and he can be reached directly by email - mark.kline@kyushoinstitute.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Knowledge Power?

Choices

Rocks in your feed bag?