Using the Force


I know this is late with the Star Wars reference, but as I was teaching class last night, I could see one of the student's light bulb go off while we were practicing a throw.

Back in the day (which I think was a Wednesday, but I know the year was 1989), a woman named Anita told me about this fantastic martial artist who could barely touch you and you would fall down.  I was 22 years old and said, "Yeah...ok!"...especially when I found out that he was 72.  My response?  "A 72 year old man is not going to throw me on the floor."

As luck would have it he was going to be teaching in Delware with George Dillman and Remy Presas.  This man was Prof. Wally Jay.

Not only did this event put me on this journey that is in its 27th year...It has opened up many doors and opportunities to me.

The title of this post, "Using the Force" has a dual meaning, but the end result is the same..."That we resist...will persist."

When we resist an opponent's advance...the situation can stagnate or turn out poorly.  When we allow them to have their size and strength used against themselves...we can extricate ourselves from the situation, virtually unscathed.

The same goes for opportunities.  As I made that comment above to Anita...I could have easily resisted what she was telling me, and who knows what I would be doing today and where I would be doing it.  I have a feeling that I would not be writing this and you would not be reading this...just a gut feeling:-)

So last night as the students were playing with throws, they started to see that when you allow the opponent to dictate which way they get thrown, you are not throwing them as much as guiding them to their demise based on their resistance.

When they resist...they are off balance and you can have this persist by helping them move in the direction that their body thinks it needs to go.

This is a simple principle of opposites that I refer to as the Costanza Principle from the Seinfeld character George Costanza. Here is a fantastic example of what I mean.

The goal is not to fight the opponent, because when two people tangle physically or with ideas, they become one...at least temporarily and when we listen to the force...we increase our chances of success!

Until next time KO your obstacles by keeping it simple, keeping it safe, and train with PinPoint™ accuracy.

Mark

Mark Kline is a short, bald, professional martial artist from NJ.  He is the architect of the PinPoint™ Method of Pressure Point Education for Martial Arts which is hosted by the Kyusho Institute.  He has thousands students and followers around the globe training in his unique method of learning through a combination of live seminars and online education.  You can can find more information about this unparalleled Kyusho Educational program here - http://www.KyushoInstitute.com and he can be reached directly by email - mark.kline@kyushoinstitute.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choices

Is Knowledge Power?

Rocks in your feed bag?