Such a Deal


 Is your product or service a commodity like sugar, coffee, etc?

or

Do you have something unique to offer the world?

We all think we have the best this, the most effective that, etc., but do we really know?

We actually do not, until we put our "stuff" out there and see what the marketplace says.

I know from experience because I have been marketing my materials for over 20 years with almost 150 published titles & a hugely successful online Kyusho Education Program being studied in 30 + countries.

I started with VHS/DVD and then moved into the purely digital world a few years ago and continue to expand on that.

We all want a good deal...me included.

There are just some things where what you get is sometimes more important that what you pay...within reason.

Years ago, a student told me what an instructor from another school in our area said about the tuition I was charging.  This instructor said that I was too expensive and that they charged 1/2 of what I was charging at the time.

So I asked him a few questions.

What does he teach?  He said Tae Kwon Do.

I then asked, Is his focus self defense or sport?  He said Sport.

He was not interested in moving to that school, he just wanted my take on this because he was more inclined to focus on the self defense aspects of Kyusho and applicable self defense rather than playing tag for a piece of plastic set on a nice stone base.

So I asked him how many students they had and he said about 200.  Now that is an impressive #.  I had about 100 at the time.  The end result was that we were both making the same base $, but...and here was the kicker IMO...he had to service 2x as many people for the same bottom line...which to me did not make any sense...work 2x as hard for the same amount of money...but that is the value he placed on his program.  I personally thought twice as much about my program then he did I guess.

The mistake that was being made was that this instructor, without really knowing what I was teaching, was comparing apples to oranges while thinking he was comparing apples to apples.  That is an unfair comparison to make, but one people make every day in all industries.

Discounts are ok.  I am not saying there is anything wrong with this.  I want you to think about this...and martial arts schools and fitness facilities make this mistake all the time (I should know...I followed this flawed advice in the past)...

First month 50% off for new students...then we are going to punish you for staying and charge you full price:-)

Do you see the disconnect here?

1. Everyone is doing the same thing, regardless what they charge and are setting the value at 1/2 of their regular price for the first month (it is different if you are a new school and looking to gain students or members quickly) and thereby commoditizingg their service.

and

2. You have to work much harder to get someone in a regular program because you established that they can train for 1/2 price (meaning that your price is flexible).  If that is your business model then go for it...it just does not work for me because their are too many issues that have arisen in my 25 years in business.

My question for you today is, There are some people who base their buying habits solely on price, some who do so on value, and those who look for both.  

1. Which one of the above are you...and be honest:-)
2. Do you do this regardless of whether or not this product or service is unique or do you just commoditze just about everything?

When someone is just about giving something away...what is the real value then?  If you can afford to give something away for, lets say 40% off until next week...then why can't you always offer that deal?  With physical products, I agree that when a business owner buys in bulk...the cost is less.  With digital products, i.e. subscriptions, if you use the right provider...this is not an issue.

Until next time KO your obstacles by keeping it simple, keeping it safe, and train with PinPoint™ accuracy.






 






Mark Kline is a short, bald, professional martial artist from NJ.  He is the architect of the PinPoint™ Method of Pressure Point Education for Martial Arts which is hosted by the Kyusho Institute.  He has thousands students and followers around the globe training in his unique method of learning through a combination of live seminars and online education.  You can can find more information about this unparalleled Kyusho Educational program here, where you can get 30 days free to try it out - http://www.KyushoInstitute.com and he can be reached directly by email - mark.kline@kyushoinstitute.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Knowledge Power?

Choices

Rocks in your feed bag?